Thursday, April 19, 2007

Shuffling feet - hopeful look on face. Clearing throat.


I apologize for posting about this again. However, this is important to me. Any money that I am able to raise in Bobby's memory - well - it makes me feel closer to him. (I will post more about this thought process later.) So despite the fact, I KNOW that all of you are stretched when it comes to cash - well if you can spare $5 and if a hundred people can spare it, that totals $500. Which leads me to ask again.

***

As some of you may know, I have recently lost my cousin and friend Bobby. A strong and courageous 21-year-old to an eleven-year battle with brain cancer. Bobby his immediate family and friends have participated in this event for the past several years and raised money as individual riders. This year we have created a team of over 25 family members and friends to ride this May In Memory Of Bobby. We have named the team Bobby's Bikers. Our goal is to raise $10,000.00 this year, as of today we have raised $4,925.00. Our goal of $10,000.00 would double what we raised all together as individual riders last year. As a family, we feel that it is our duty to continue to raise awareness and do our part to help find a cure. We cannot get our Bobby back but we can help someone from losing one of his or her loved ones, or someone you may even know.

And if you are asking how does this effect me? I would like for you to think of the following:

1. If you don't know of anyone with a brain tumor as of yet - chances are that you will in your lifetime.
2. Statistics show that over 200,000 people are diagnosed with some type of a brain tumor each year.
3. There are over 120 different types of brain tumors. This makes treatment very difficult. Whether it is malignant or benign it can be just as injurious or life threatening.
4. These tumors are the leading cause of cancer deaths in children under the age of 20. The numbers of deaths have surpassed acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
5. It is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in male adults ages 20-29 and the fifth leading cause of cancer deaths in female adults ages 20-39.

Does this information surprise you? Despite all of the statistical numbers and all the deaths,brain cancer research is severely under funded and most of the public remains unaware of the magnitude of this disease. The cure rate for most brain tumors is greatly lower than that of many other types of cancer.

Helping us raise awareness and participating in The Ride For Research is important.

Please help us reach our goal by making a donation, any donation big or small is greatly appreciated. Remember, no donation is too small and all donations are tax
deductible. You may make any donation online or you may use this form to mail it in. However, the online version of donation does allow for annonymous donations.

Thank you in advance for your generous help, and remember you are helping a good cause.

Sincerely, Dianne

3 comments:

TeamWinks said...

Wow, Dianne, those stats really did surprise me. I had no idea.

Unknown said...

I clicked through and donated when you first posted about this (I hope it came through?). I'm so sorry you lost him.

Esperanza said...

Thank you, my anonymous donor. I appreciate it more than you know Adrienne.